Tuesday, August 23, 2011

First Time For Everything

The past few days have been pretty chill, which I don’t mind at all! Thursday night Cody and I ate dinner on base after he showed me around a little and then we hung out at a little lake/reservoir for a couple of hours. Melissa and I made him and some of his friends a bazillion cookies so I took those to him! On Friday, Cody got to leave for a little bit so I picked him up after Melissa and I left the mall and picked up a ring of shrimp that was on sale and some cheese dip/chips and fruit for dinner. After that, we watched animal planet and wandered around my campus so I could find all of my classes. Oh yeah, and USAFA was on fire...no big deal.  Melissa told me she saw smoke from our window but I told her it was probably a cloud...oops. 
Speaking of clouds, it's really tricky deciding if the weird grayness over the mountains everyday about 4 or 5pm is rain or just clouds...we make bets daily on what time it will rain! On Saturday, Cody and I went shopping and did the incline in Manitou Springs. We went to the mall for a minute and of course I convinced him to let me go to the pet shop for a second to look at the puppies…I want one so so so so badly. There was a yellow lab puppy that wanted me to take it home more than anything. Anywho, then we went to Pets Mart to get me some fish and grabbed Starbucks on the way…nom nom nom. Cody so kindly suggested that I ask the lady which fish are the hardest to kill and then choose which ones I wanted from there since everyone knows that if it is smaller than a cat, I’m very likely to kill it….not intentionally, of course.




3 days later and they’re still alive and kicking so things are going my way!





 If you don’t know what the incline is, here’s a good link: http://manitouincline.net/main.htm Basically, it’s 2800 railroad ties one way which may not seem like a lot; however, a lot of the steps are like a foot tall so I guess I’m lucky that I’m tall. Cody stopped for/with me probably like 5 times but we made it up in about an hour and down in about 30 min. We waited until about 5pm to go so it would be cool outside. I was convinced that it was a lot harder to breathe but I think not being in shape had a lot to do with it. It was funny because there’s a false summit so you think you’re almost to the top and then you get there and realize you’re only like half way done which is a total slap in the face.

 It was fun though and I’m glad that we did it! 
That night we watched the movie “Unknown”. It was so good that I even stayed awake through the whole movie, which is a miracle in it of itself. Sunday was a lazy day. Before going back to the Academy, Cody and I went to the southern part of Colorado Springs and discovered a very nice shopping center with pretty much anything I could ever need so in the instance that I come across a gold mine, I know where all my money will be spent! I feel like I grocery shop all of the time but when I find a good deal like $.58 powerade zero, I just can’t turn it down haha. I also visit the Dollar Tree very often. I still love it here. The first day of school I woke up at 11am and I was done with class by 1:30...that is called a wonderful Monday! However, I changed my schedule so that I’ll have my philosophy class with Melissa and Brooke so now I have four 8am classes; however, I’m done everyday by 1:30 and most days by around 12 so I’m definitely not complaining. Like I mentioned before, I have the best view and 2 windows in my room, which is nice but because of that I also hear everything that drives down the road at night outside of my window, such as concrete cleaner trucks that are completely obnoxious…good thing I can fall right back asleep easily! Last night I felt my first earthquake, which made me think I was going crazy for a minute.
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/usc0005ic9.php
I was sitting at my desk and my chair was rocking sideways and after sleepily putting together that my chair rocks back and forth, not side to side I stood up and saw my fish tank water sloshing and grabbed my bed all in about 4 or 5 seconds. Then, I ran out into the kitchen and all of my roommates were asleep so I text Cody and he thought he was crazy and just tired too, but it turns out it was a 4.6 earthquake! Scary! There's a first time for everything I guess! This morning I finished with class at 9:15 so I went to visit Cody at the chapel until 12. I could get used to that. This week I don’t have many plans. I still have to take care of some books, get a few school supplies and do some random things. This week is like a “back to school” week so there’s movies on the lawn and dodgeball tournaments and things like that that my roommates and I are planning on going to. This coming weekend should be fun, as Cody and I are planning on going somewhere adventurous...but that’s about all I know right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment