Friday, August 12, 2011

The Journey!

Unfortunately, I didn't have wifi at either of the hotels for the past 2 nights, so here is what was meant to be posted....


August 10th

Day 1 of our adventure was a total success! We left this morning a little after 8 after we took some final fam photos!
 We made it to Wichita, Kansas after nearly 10 hours of driving which wasn’t bad at all! Arkansas was rainy, Oklahoma was surprisingly pretty minus the tolls and for whatever reason, I’m not too fond of Kansas. I have pretty good feeling about the next state though :) DUHHH. Oklahoma had super nice rest stops even though we didn't see any indians :( Karen would have fit right in!
She was more than delighted to sign the guest book in Oklahoma!
We stopped in Blackwell, Oklahoma and hardcore searched for a Blackwell sign and found 2…one of which we had to park at a 4-way stop, set my camera tripod up on the hood of my car, dart across the street, dodge a police car and dart back in 10 seconds to beat the car coming up behind me all for a picture!

 No worries, we made it! We’re both pretty tired tonight and I’m sure we’ll sleep good in our little white concrete walled jail cell of a hotel room. I’m hoping to make it to Colorado Springs tomorrow but we’ll see :)

Until then, goodnight!


August 11th
Whoever told me Kansas goes on forever wasn’t lying! I think we spent about 8 or 9 hours in that state…the highlight of it was definitely the wind mills, we were mesmerized, haha!
It didn’t help that as soon as my mom got in the car this morning at 9am, she started a word search, which meant that boredom started early today! As soon as we got in Colorado, a storm hit and my mom was amazed by the lightning so she spent probably 30 minutes trying to capture a picture of it…sadly, she never got her picture even though we ended up with tons of the one below, haha.
We heard the song “Good Life” by One Republic maybe 15 times today. Even though I like the song I got sick of it so I’d only listen to it until the line “Paris to China to Coloradoooo” came up which at that point I would sing it at the top of my lungs. We stopped to pick some sunflowers on the side of the road (since Kansas is the sunflower state they were everywhere!) for the middle of my future kitchen table because it sounded like the crafty, domestic thing for me to do…but they were covered in ants so I dropped them and ran back to my car like a little girl since by the time I realize I have an ant on me, the whole colony is climbing up my legs. The funniest part of today was probably about an hour before we got here. I lied to my mom and told her we were almost there. By “almost there”, I meant we only had 1/18 hours left….her “almost there” was about 10 minutes so it got a bit violent after 45 min had passed and I kept saying that we were “almost there”. We went to UCCS to get my student ID card made tonight so that my move-in in the morning will go smoother and a bit faster.

I couldn’t have been more excited about seeing a gas station with a “$1 any size ICEE” sign so naturally, we stopped. I hope to move in around 10am tomorrow but I'm sure I'll be awake before then :)

No comments:

Post a Comment